[View] [Edit] [Lock] [References] [Attachments] [History] [Home] [Changes] [Search] [Help]
We are collecting questions and anwsers during this stage to build out "FAQ" page for the U8 service, feel free to add questions and edit responses here.
- What is U8 ?
- U8 is the first social development platform for Smalltalk. It is a web service to produce software based on smalltalk technology for diferent target platforms.
- Is it different to from other environmentents?
If yes in which features
- It is the first platform for doing social development using Smalltalk.
- There is no other service to compare.
- If you are not satisfied by other implementations, try to use S8 to see if it is appropiate for your needs (we can help you to startup).
- If you need a feature or framework, use the U8 service to contact/contract experts to implement it now; make a post to smalltalking list (or send to firstname.lastname@example.org), in Spanish or English to contact developers and experts in software development with Smalltalk.
- How to develop in groups?
- We do not have support for multi-person development, yet. We are using TeamViewer to do development in groups (one user takes ownership of the main contribution and otehrs can fork or join development using "instant meetings").
- Where are my contributions located?
- Every U8 user owns a profile folder where contributions are located. In addition, a profile folder serves as a user space as well a link for reference or sharing your work. A typical URL contribution like http://u8.smalltalking.net/contribution.aspx?contributionId=64 is then mapped to a specific profile folder.
- Where are my frameworks located?
- Contributions similar manner, the frameworks are located under specific profile folder and can be used (loaded) by others contributions foreing to the author profile.
- What is difference between contribution and framework?
- From U8 perspective, a framework is a folder under a specific profile containing a set of Smalltalk files (.st files), a compilated version of this sources (.st.js files) plus a Licence.txt and a framework.json file defining details how to visualize this framework in U8 browsing framework page. You can see this content in real exploring for example the HighCharts wrapping framework. In the other hand, a contribution is a small sample application using (or not) a framework, that can be shared with other people to promote or shows specific issues. You can see a real example of this exploring HighCharts contribution that uses the HighCharts wrapping framework.
- Where are the sources of core classes of S8 system?
- The sources of minimal S8 system are owned by users of U8 (ask your referent for the sources). You will need to compile and build an image (or snapshot) to start a system; load modules and (in case you need) save a new snapshot in a file or transfer to another computer of the image to be stored or executed.
- [s8] Binary module format